Monday, October 29, 2007

It's offical, she is old(er)

It's over. We had Queenie's birthday party over the weekend. It's official. She is now 16. Scary really if you think about it. Now if I tell her she can't do something I'm sure to get,

"But Mom, I'm 16!"

I can hear it now. I can't wait til she gets her license, it will get worse I'm sure.

Just in case you were wondering what people give as a gift to a 16 year old, it's money. They don't want anything that is not cheap any more. They have moved up to the expensive gift phase. Unfortunately this phase never goes away. We got her a letter jacket. I was very impressed with myself. She mentioned that she wanted one AND I remembered. Then I went to order it without having her try it on. This was scary. What if I got the size wrong? I tried on 2 sizes & picked one hoping for the best. We are close to the same size so that helps. The jackets are in stock but they send them out to have the stuff sewn on. Like your school patch & any letters or numbers you might have. Queenie earned her numbers last year but of course I couldn't find them so I just had the school thingie sewn on. You can also have their name embroidered on. I didn't do that yet.
Getting a letter jacket is so different now. I got mine in the late 70's. I bought the jacket & the school patch & sewed them on myself. Now they send them out to do it. It does look much better though. They are A LOT more expensive too.

She loved the jacket, was very surprised AND it fit! Score 1 for Mom! I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do it it didn't fit. I have no idea if they exchange them or not. I already had stuff sewn on it too. But thankfully I didn't have to worry about it. This will also be her winter coat. So I killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Yea me. Hopefully she will be able to wear this for 3 years. Which means I don't have to worry about buying her a winter coat for 3 years. At least that is my plan. Hers might be different. But I hope not. For the amount that I spent on this jacket she should wear it the rest of her life! I took it back today to have it sent out AGAIN. This time they are going to put her name on it. I didn't do it before because it wasn't sure where she wanted her name to be. You can have it small on the front or big on the hood. She picked hood. Hopefully it won't get really cold & snow before I get it back.

I scored really big with the birthday gift. Now I have absolutely no idea what to get her for Christmas.

No comments: